Carving Crow Decoys and Digging up bottles





The idea of crow hunting has been intruding on me these past few months . Maybe it's just an excuse to make decoys I could actually use. I guess I could use the troves of Ruddy Turnstones I've hacked out this past year. But personally I've never seen one of those little buggers scurrying around our shoreline plus the whole migratory bird act of 1918 thing.. so yes Crows. Also because I can't quite paint a Mourning dove right. 

I guess you could just whittle out a robin sized bird, paint it black and call it a crow, but I'd like mine to at least look like a bird silloet. So of course I cut out some flattie blanks. I also cut out a rig of Mourning Doves for a rainy day.




  From briefly browsing the web I gather 3ish crows will suffice. Along with an owl for what ever reason, Who knew that crows dont like owls? Or Blue jays not liking Americn Robins for that matter.

So the crow blanks are cut, waiting for the knife and rasp. I'll get to that soon.

In other news. while out harvesting some pine to dry out, I came across a few old bottles under pine needles along with a few half buried. One turns out to be a brown glass  Clorox botle from the ealry 1960's. I think that's pretty neat. How long does it have to be for garbage to be interesting? 30 years a bottle generally still seems like trash. Never know, some one might prize a "new Coke" bottle some day. 



anywho.. I ended up finding quite a few Clorox bottles from the 60's. Along with a coke bottle from the 40's I wish had not broken. Found a nice Whisky bottle too, I could read everything on it though I still need to clean it up. Found a small piece of milk glass too. Seems like a small cream of some kind. Speaking of cream...well sort of- I found an old milk botle to boot. not sure how old it is.

The next day I returned with a spade and an old Gilbert Gottfirled appearence on Stern playing in my earbuds.. Always a good time when Gottfried came on- the shit this guys says...So to an outside observer I was probably some weirdo digging and laughing to himself.

 Geez.... that's not a great sight to stumble on. 

 This next day I found mostly mason jars which I can only assume are from around the same time. many many broken bottles and large clorox bleach jugs(though only the handle and bottle cap where in one piece, bummer. I did how ever find a small metal box for women's make up along with an ink jar or two so it could have been worse.


The day after I mostly found broken wine bottle, eroding pop-top beer cans that crumbled in my hand. Close to where I originally started digging, maybe 7 feet away everything under ground was broken. I ended up having a pile of rejects up against a tree. Broken jugs, broken jars. everything. 

Again I did end up with a nice haul of bottles that need a good cleaning. And a new home if anyone's interested. 



Comments